felix-users mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: adopt to OSGi
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:14:13 GMT
Am 17.10.2013 06:31, schrieb Peter Cheung:
> Dear All    I have a app, which is a debugger, it works with qemu and bochs. I am planning
to support more VM, so I want to independent the middle part to OSGi. I am not sure i am doing
it correctly:
> 1) I changed my app to start felix immediately after main(), in the activator, i create
a new object which is the original app. So my original app is running inside OSGi container
completely, this will let me avoid class-casting error.
Why are you starting felix inside you main? Wouldn′t it make more sense
to just start felix from the shell and let it run your application? Or
do you need parts of your application to be non OSGi?
> 2) I got two new projects : Interface project and Impl project. The interface project
doesn't have to be a bundle. Both host app and impl project just include it in maven. Is it
the best practice? or I have to make it as a bundle? but i don't see advantage.
It depends on where the interface is needed. If you only need it in OSGi
then make it a bundle. If you need the interface to communicate between
OSGi and th main() then you have to make it a normal maven dependency
for your starter and export the package of the interface using a system
package export. This is the only way to share code between OSGi and non
OSGi parts of your app. Btw. the impl bundle has to have an
Import-Package for the interface package of course.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de