felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Help with "Unresolved constraint" error
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2013 19:49:04 GMT
On 10/3/13 14:55 , Rajan Parthasarathy wrote:
> In the tests I was running yesterday, the presence of the port-watcher dependency seemed
to be making a difference. However, I just reproduced the issue without the port-watcher.
Huh!

> Here's the full stack trace:
>
> ERROR 2013-10-03 14:44:35.979 (org.apache.felix.bundlerepository:?) - Resolver: Start
error - com.rapid7.razor.collector.engine
> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle com.rapid7.razor.collector.engine
[8]: Unable to resolve 8.1: missing requirement [8.1] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=com.rapid7.razor.collector.api)(version>=0.2.3)(!(version>=1.0.0)))
> 	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundleRevision(Felix.java:3826)
> 	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1868)
> 	at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:944)
> 	at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:931)
> 	at org.apache.felix.bundlerepository.impl.ResolverImpl.deploy(ResolverImpl.java:630)
> 	at com.rapid7.razor.collector.bootstrap.impl.BootstrapEngineManager.deployEngine(BootstrapEngineManager.java:93)
> 	at com.rapid7.razor.collector.bootstrap.impl.BootstrapEngineManager.access$200(BootstrapEngineManager.java:25)
> 	at com.rapid7.razor.collector.bootstrap.impl.BootstrapEngineManager$UpdateWorker.run(BootstrapEngineManager.java:215)
>
> In Gogo, I see this when I do an lb:
>
>      8|Installed  |    1|Razor Collector Engine (0.2.11)
>      9|Active     |    1|Razor Collector API (0.2.3)
>
> If I do this:
> g! refresh 9
> g! start 8
> g! lb
>
> then it seems to have started properly.
>
> I'm confused because 0.2.3 is listed as active, yet the exception specifies it's not
able to resolve the requirement for 0.2.3. Also, I do call Resolver.resolve() before calling
Resolver.deploy(), and the first call returned true to indicate that resolution was successful.

If the bundle exports what it imports, then it won't actually start
providing the new versions of the package until the refresh occurs. That
might explain what you are seeing.

OBR doesn't handle refreshing very well. Generally, speaking you should
always do a refreshing after updating one or more bundles...OBR doesn't
do this.

-> richard

> Thank you for your help,
> Raj

insight into it. I'm using Felix system bundle 4.0.3.

>> The application uses an OBR, with a thread that periodically checks for updates.
Bundles are updated using Resolver. Here's the code which performs the updates (with null
checks, etc. removed):

>>               repositoryAdmin.addRepository(new URL(repositoryUrl));
>>               Resolver resolver = repositoryAdmin.resolver();
>>               Resource resource = ... get the resource we want to update ...
>>               resolver.add(resource);
>>               if (resolver.resolve(Resolver.NO_OPTIONAL_RESOURCES)) {
>>                   resolver.deploy(Resolver.NO_OPTIONAL_RESOURCES | Resolver.START);
>>               }
>>
>> The application is running in Felix with the following bundles:
>> collector-api (0.2.2) - exports itself collector-engine (0.2.10) -
>> imports collector-api >= 0.2.2 port-watcher (0.2.2) - imports
>> collector-api >= 0.2.0
>>
>> I updated the OBR in the following manner:
>> - replaced collector-api 0.2.2 with collector-api 0.2.3
>> - replaced engine 0.2.10 with 0.2.11, which imports collector-api >=
>> 0.2.3
>>
>> When I resolve and deploy engine 0.2.11 with the above code, it throws the following
error:
>> ERROR 2013-10-02 16:52:58.235 (org.apache.felix.bundlerepository:?) -
>> Resolver: Start error - com.rapid7.razor.collector.engine
>> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle
>> com.rapid7.razor.collector.engine [8]: Unable to resolve 8.29: missing
>> requirement [8.29] osgi.wiring.package;
>> (&(osgi.wiring.package=com.rapid7.razor.collector.api)(version>=0.2.3)
>> (!(version>=1.0.0)))
>>
>> If I replicate the above scenario without the port-watcher bundle installed, then
it works - the engine gets updated successfully. Any hints as to what is happening here?
> Not sure. There is code in OBR that tries to update a bundle instead of deploying a second
version. Perhaps it tries to update collector-api to
> 0.2.3 but determines that it breaks the port-watcher dependency if it does that so it
fails. If that is the case, then that would be a bug since it shouldn't fail, it should deploy
a second version of collector-api.

> When you run your example without port-watcher is the existing version of collector-api
updated to 0.2.3 or are there two versions of the bundle deployed?

> -> richard
>
>> Thank you,
>> Raj
>> This electronic message contains information which may be confidential or privileged.
The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are
not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission
in error, please notify us by e-mail at (postmaster@rapid7.com) immediately.