felix-users mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2013 07:27:43 GMT
Hi

Am 12.09.2013 um 09:10 schrieb ffrench.mathilde@gmail.com:

> Yes it make sense. We will continue this investigation with iPojo
> community.

Excellent. You reach them here on this list, too ;-)

> Anyway good to know that OSGi API is fully backwards compatible... But
> I'm curious : is that one of the reasons why Felix osgi version is still
> 4.2 in the svn trunk ? Are there other points which explain that version
> is still 4.2 in the felix trunk ?

What specific project are you referring to ?

Unlike other open-source projects, the different Apache Felix subprojects are pretty much
independent of each other (or have limited dependencies like for example the main project
depending on and using the framework project).

So, some projects may refer to OSGi 4.2 while other refer to OSGi 5 depending on the actual
requirements of these projects.

Regards
Felix

> Thank you
>
> On 12/09/2013 08:50, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 12.09.2013 um 08:33 schrieb ffrench.mathilde@gmail.com:
>>
>>> Thank you for this first and quick answer... Let me be more precise.
>>>
>>> Currently we are working on Apache Felix iPojo integration into WildFly
>>> alpha. As you may know the WildFly alpha OSGI is based on JBoss OSGI 2.1
>>> which is using org.osgi.core 5.0.0 and we believe this is the reason why
>>> our integration of iPojo to WildFly is not working because as far as I
>>> see in the svn Felix trunk pom the current OSGI version is 4.2.0...
>> I don't think this is the problem: iPojo may be written against OSGi R4.2 but there
is no reason to believe it would not run on an OSGi R5 Core compliant framework. The OSGi
API is (up to now) always fully backwards compatible so that code written against old versions
will work with newer versions (unless they implement OSGi API, which may require updates,
but AFAICT that is not the case with iPojo)

>> I think the iPojo community would be more than willing to help you on concrete issues
you may encounter deploying WildFly with iPojo on JBoss OSGi. But you would probably have
to be more specific reporting issues.

>> Does that make sense ?
>>
>> Regards
>> Felix
>>
>>> Depending on the Felix roadmap we may postpone our iPojo integration
>>> into WildFly and use JBoss EAP 6 - which is using OSGI 4.2 through JBoss
>>> OSGI 1.X ... But maybe some people on this list already try and succeed
>>> this integration ?
>>>
>>> Thank you

Some are implemented in the Apache Felix project, some are not.

been done a gap analysis once). As for OSGi R5 Compendium and Enterprise: We have for example
implementations of a number of service specifications (Log, Http, Configuration Admin, Declarative
Services, Metatype, Preferences), which AFAICT are reasonably complete or even passing the
OSGi R5 CT -- Configuration Admin is even the reference implementation.

Aries project.