felix-users mailing list archives

From Roland <...@ids.de>
Subject Re: Strategies for bundle repositories and auto-update
Date Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:46:12 GMT
As I understood you, you want to offer multiple software extension stages or
software variants/versions and you want to provide a repository that
satisfies all requirements of a given variant. If this is true, then you
want to do exactly the same thing what I'm doing. See the link of my first
email/post. You can create multiple *local* OBRs for each of your product
variant. One local OBR can be assigned to one particular software-variant.
Do not create a central OBR on your maven-proxy because it includes all
artifacts of all variants and thus, you can not distinguish which variant
which artifact requires.

For that purpose I embedded the Apache-Felix-Bundlrepository in my
Felix-launcher, so that I can load my OBRs at startup. Depending on my
product-variant, I read various local OBR files. Then I download *all*
requirements from my own Maven proxy, *that are listed in a particular OBR
file*. My last step is to deploy all Requiremtents in my bundle-cache. All
dependencies can be resolved. I do not care if not.

The advantage of OBRs is that you can guarantee that all dependencies can be
resolved, otherwise it is an error condition that has its origin in your
build process. So you do not have to determine at run time, which
requirement is unsatisfied (BTW this is very computationally expensive). The
dependencies are determined by Maven at compile-time. For additional Felix
extensions that have no dependency to your application, you can proceed as I
indicated in my first email / post.

Regards
Roland