felix-users mailing list archives

From Roland <...@ids.de>
Subject Re: How to improve the start time of Apache Felix
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2013 08:39:05 GMT
Neil Bartlett wrote
> [...]
>
> It does seem to suggest that resolution time is a factor. I wonder if
> your test harness is capable of testing on Equinox and Knopflerfish as
> well? The comparison could be enlightening. In particular I believe
> that Equinox is able to persist resolution state and therefore might
> start more quickly on the second and subsequent launches.
> [...]

> For additional commands, e-mail:

> users-help@.apache

I also think that resolving and creating wires between bundles consumes
time. It depends on how many thirdparty-bundles are required. I need about
20 libraries. Most of the thirdparty-bundles do not implement a
BundleActivator or register a Service but just export some packages (e.g.
log4j, slf4j, commons.io,...). So, maybe we can save time if we can somehow
store the *wires* in the bundle-cache after the fist startup
(Serialization?), so that they are already / immediately available at a
restart. Or start the bundles fast without resolving and resolve them later.
I'm just thinking out loud.