felix-users mailing list archives

From Peter Kriens <peter.kri...@aqute.biz>
Subject Re: declarative Services
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2013 09:27:26 GMT
If I had to start over with the design of OSGi there would be no bundle activator, just DS
components ... The activator was a mistake since it is a singleton and I now sometimes wonder
what we are smoking, forcing people to handle their own service dependencies. DS's support
services, service factories, and more as well as fully handling service dependencies makes
services as lightweight as classes. With the DS annotations you can turn ay class into a service
(factory) whenever you want, not requiring any extra setup. I found it amazing how light weight
services became once I could do this.

You can control the life cycle of the component with config admin using managed service (factories).
Config admin can define/override service properties and define which service dependencies
are bound by setting the target filter.

With DS you do not need the dependency manager since DS handles deps for you.

Again, OSGi was not complete until DS was specified.

Kind regards,

    Peters Kriens

Sent from my iPad