felix-users mailing list archives

From Dan Gravell <...@elstensoftware.com>
Subject OOME when running a bndtools JUnit test, I think because of bundle resolution
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:16:41 GMT
I'm getting an OOME when running a bndtools JUnit test. The reason I'm
posting about it here is because I think this relates to Felix's bundle
resolvers.

Even if I run the test with -Xmx512M I am getting the OOME, which is
manifest as a "GC overhead limit exceeded". This, despite running a super
set of bundles with -Xmx128M using the bndtools runner and also, at
deployment time, simply deployed within Felix. So I am trying to work out
what's going on...

Here's the stack trace that's printed:

! Unexpected error in the run body: GC overhead limit exceeded
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
at java.util.ArrayList.iterator(ArrayList.java:737)
at
org.apache.felix.framework.resolver.ResolverImpl.mergeUses(ResolverImpl.java:871)
at
org.apache.felix.framework.resolver.ResolverImpl.mergeUses(ResolverImpl.java:913)
at
org.apache.felix.framework.resolver.ResolverImpl.mergeUses(ResolverImpl.java:913)
at
org.apache.felix.framework.resolver.ResolverImpl.calculatePackageSpaces(ResolverImpl.java:679)
at
org.apache.felix.framework.resolver.ResolverImpl.resolve(ResolverImpl.java:183)
at
org.apache.felix.framework.StatefulResolver.resolve(StatefulResolver.java:403)
at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundles(Felix.java:3931)
at
org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkWiringImpl.resolveBundles(FrameworkWiringImpl.java:123)
at
org.apache.felix.framework.PackageAdminImpl.resolveBundles(PackageAdminImpl.java:263)
at aQute.launcher.Launcher.update(Launcher.java:296)
at aQute.launcher.Launcher.activate(Launcher.java:241)
at aQute.launcher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:145)
at aQute.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:80)

I can provide the HPROF and the bundles, although the HPROF is 146MB and
wanted to avoid using up my monthly bandwidth allowance. It will also take
a good hour and a half to upload I think. It shows a ResolverImpl consuming
413MB with 3442 Candidates objects in its m_usesPermutations list.

Let me know what I can provide to help with this.

I'm guessing there's something kooky about my bundles, but it seems strange
given they work in other scenarios.

Dan