felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: ServiceListener influenced by import directive: could someone confirm this?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:55:50 GMT
The OSGi framework attempts to deliver service events that are usable by
your bundle (i.e., class compatible), so by having or not having imports
and depending on the provider of your imports you may or may not see
events if the framework thinks they might cause you class cast problems.

If you want to test this out, you can implement AllServiceListener as a
test to see if you get all events; this listener will get all service
event irrespective of whether they might cause class cast exceptions.

Generally, you only want to use an "all" listener if you are monitoring
an entire system, but not really interacting with services (or are using
reflection to do so). Normally, you only want the framework sending
events to service you can access without a class cast exception using
the normal ServiceListener.

-> richard

p.s. For completeness, here a description of what the Felix framework
tries to do from ServiceRegistrationImpl.java:

             // There are four situations that may occur here:
             //   1. Neither the requester, nor provider have wires for
the package.
             //   2. The requester does not have a wire for the package.
             //   3. The provider does not have a wire for the package.
             //   4. Both the requester and provider have a wire for the
package.
             // For case 1, if the requester does not have access to the
class at
             // all, we assume it is using reflection and do not filter.
If the
             // requester does have access to the class, then we make
sure it is
             // the same class as the service. For case 2, we do not
filter if the
             // requester is the exporter of the package to which the
provider of
             // the service is wired. Otherwise, as in case 1, if the
requester
             // does not have access to the class at all, we do not
filter, but if
             // it does have access we check if it is the same class
accessible to
             // the providing revision. For case 3, the provider will
not have a wire
             // if it is exporting the package, so we determine if the
requester
             // is wired to it or somehow using the same class. For case
4, we
             // simply compare the exporting revisions from the package
wiring to
             // determine if we need to filter the service reference.