felix-users mailing list archives

From Stuart McCulloch <mccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] rename maven-bundle-plugin to bnd-maven-plugin
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:23:56 GMT
On 28 Feb 2013, at 12:57, Guillaume Sauthier (OW2/GMail) wrote:

> It's not completely related to the naming discussion, but more about the
> relation-ship with maven itself.
> Is it possible (in a more a less near future) to have "bundle" type
> recognized by default by maven ?
> --G

That's an interesting idea - as Marcel mentioned perhaps we could consider donating the maven-bundle-plugin
to the Apache Maven project, which would then make it easier (though not a done deal) to add
'bundle' as a core packaging type. This would still involve a change in plugin coordinates
(groupId org.apache.felix -> org.apache.maven.plugins) but we could look into adding a
relocation in the pom.xml to assist users and if we were able to get the 'bundle' packaging
recognized by default then migration would mostly involve removing elements from the pom.xml

I'll start a new thread to discuss the contribution idea - just a reminder that nothing has
been decided at this point, I want to get wide enough feedback before starting a vote thread.

> 2013/2/28 Stuart McCulloch <mcculls@gmail.com>
>
>> On 28 Feb 2013, at 07:05, fbalicchia wrote:
>>
>>> I think it is the best choice to follow the naming convention.
>>> What I do not understand is why plugins can't be hosted by Apache
>>
>> The Apache Maven team prefer to keep the maven-NNN-plugin naming for
>> plugins developed and maintained by them (ie. those with groupId
>> org.apache.maven.plugins) whereas Maven plugins developed by other Apache
>> (or non-Apache) projects are encouraged to use NNN-maven-plugin naming. The
>> idea is to help avoid confusion about which plugins are directly supported
>> by Apache Maven team and which are supported elsewhere:
>>
>>        http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg128850.html
>>
>> While renaming the plugin would be a courtesy to the Apache Maven team, it
>> is not mandatory if it would cause problems for downstream users - hence
>> this discussion thread.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Stuart
>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> --Filippo
>>>
>>> 2013/2/27 Stuart McCulloch <mcculls@gmail.com>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> Now that we've got a 2.x version of bndlib in Maven Central (
>> http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cbiz.aQute%7Cbndlib%7C2.0.0.20130123-133441%7Cjar-
same level as shipped in bndtools 2) I'm looking to sort out a new
>> release of the maven-bundle-plugin, once I've gone through and triaged the
>> pending issues in JIRA.
>>>
>>> I also figure that now might be the best time to "fix" the plugin name
>> according to Maven guidelines:
>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-plugin-documentation.html- apparently
the name "maven-NNN-plugin" is supposed to be reserved for