felix-users mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Maven Bundle Plugin - Marking packages from optional dependencies as required
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 08:54:23 GMT
Hi,

Am 06.10.2012 um 21:09 schrieb Chetan Mehrotra:

> In Apache Jackrabbit Oak project the various modules are configured as
> OSGi bundles. Same jars are also meant to be used in non OSGi
> environment also. As OSGi related logic would not be used in such env
> we need to mark such dependencies (say OSGi Core and Compedium jars)
> as optional. However due to this the maven-bundle-plugin marks such
> packages (org.osgi.framework) as optional which is not desirable.

I do not completely understand your problem: When using bundles in a non-OSGi setup, the OSGi
manifest headers are just ignored. Particularly the Import-Package header is just not used.
So there is no problem with this header.

Also, in an OSGi context, these dependencies generally are not optional, unless carefully
reviewed. So marking them optional for the sake of non-OSGi setups is probably error prone.

Regards
Felix