felix-users mailing list archives

From Oliver Zemann <oliver.zem...@gmail.com>
Subject Question regarding logging facilitys in OSGi environments
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:45:49 GMT
Hi

I am using Apache Felix with the OSGi'd Apache HTTPClient and HTTPCore,
which depend on Apache Commons Logging. The first problem i had was that
there is no Apache Commons Logging OSGi Bundle, so i just took pax
logging into my bundle directory which "solved" that problem.

But now i want to use logback or slf4j but no matter what i try it is
just not working and i guess this is some kind of conflict. The default
logger is always set to INFO, and not to trace as configured in my
log4j.properties or logback.xml (in the long time of testing, about a
week now, i removed now logback and i would be already happy when _some_
kind of logging would work).

Its a real pain to get logging working and i can not find any
documentation about this except using the service version of logging
which i absolutly do not want because then i have to change all existing
bundles (3rd party) which rely on slf4j and others "common" java se
logging facilities.

So my question is: is there a simple tutorial or example how logging in
apache felix works with pax logging (i guess this is the "most" advanced
as they provide all kind of logging backend APIs) or another simple
logging facility which will "just" run out of the box and easy configurable.

I have this code in my activator:

static final Logger logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(Activator.class);
@Override
     public final void start(final BundleContext context) {
         if (logger.isTraceEnabled()) {
             logger.trace("start1(" + context + ")");
         }
         logger.info("start(" + context.toString() + ")");
         final Thread thread = new Thread() {
             @Override
             public void run() {
                 box = new SoundBox(context);
                 box.init();
             }
         };
         thread.start();
     }

When i use pax logging i created the log4j.properties in the /bundle
directory but it seems not beeing recognized, same for logback.xml
(which should also be covered by pax).

Any help would be really appreciated.

Kind regards,
Oli