felix-users mailing list archives

From Dan Gravell <elstensoftw...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Guidance on using auto deploy, OBR or something else for initial provisioning and updates
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:18:53 GMT
Thanks so much for answering Richard... replies inline:

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Richard S. Hall <heavy@ungoverned.org>wrote:

> It does that because that's all it has. To get the symbolic name, it would
> have to crack open the JAR file and parse its manifest to get its symbolic
> name.

Ok, it just seemed pretty easy to do this with JarFile and so on (I already
do it for the update code). But never mind, it is what it is.

You overestimate the level of sophistication of auto-deploy. It was only
> intended to get you going, mostly for development purposes. It is in no way
> an attempt to implement a management agent. You need to do that yourself or
> use something else like OBR (which is also fairly simple and may or may not
> work exactly like you need).

Well I'd like to use OBR in general because I think I can also replace my
custom updating code with it.

With OBR, is it possible to start with a set of already-downloaded bundles
(i.e. those supplied by the installer), and then use an online repository
to update? Or, really, should all installation/updating be online? I
suppose I'm a bit confused about the significance of bundle location.

The issue with online 'initial provisioning' (quoted to avoid association
with the OSGi concept) is that there's further downloading to do, even
after the user thinks they've installed the software. This would need to be
communicated, and it might also dissuade use.

However, you might be able to get close using auto-deploy if you made a
> custom launcher that created/recreated the auto-deploy directory each time
> you started the framework and then set the auto-deploy actions to
> "install,update,delete" which would install any new bundles, update and
> existing bundles, and uninstall any missing bundles.

Yeah, I considered writing my own AutoProcessor but wanted to stick with
launching felix.jar if possible for now. My build, exes and so on depend on
it.

Another approach I considered was a 'bootstrap' bundle which did what
AutoProcessor/OBR does, and then maybe uninstalled itself once the
first-run was complete?

Dan