felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: What is the most efficient way to know when a iPOJO instance is validated?
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 03:53:47 GMT

On 6/18/12 21:46 , fabiolf wrote:
> Richard,
>
> On another point in my project I solved a problem using temporal
> dependencies because I didn't want my application to be restarted when I
> switched an instance inside a composite. But I am curious. Why have you said
> that I would want to use temporal dependencies all over the place

Actually, I said you don't want to...

> Are there
> any side effects of using temporal dependencies? I am asking because I am
> considering using it exactly all over the place :)

They are the equivalent of having no dependencies and just doing
on-demand lookups of services. So, you never really know if a service
will be available when you go to use it. It may be there, it may block
you for a long period of time, or it may throw an exception.

To some degree, this is similar to the default behavior of Blueprint (it
calls this damping; it is not 100% equivalent to temporal dependencies,
but pretty close). It is like trying to pretend service dynamism doesn't
exist.

In systems where you don't expect to have any dynamism except for the
occasional update, this may be ok. However, it is not ok in a truly
dynamic system.

-> richard