felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: I want your log4j code
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 13:22:49 GMT
On 5/30/12 07:36 , Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> Dear Felix devs,
>
> I am one of the log4j developers. Recently I looked into some bugs we
> have: they are all related to Felix and OSGI. We just made something
> wrong and I am honest, I have no clue about OSGI. Today Julien
> Vermillard told me you are providing a bundle for log4j:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/commons/log4j/pom.xml
>
> I am so what pleased!
>
> Now I would like to take your work and use it in our build. Or point
> to your location. I think option 1 is preferred by our users, and so I
> want to know if you can assist me with stealing your code :-)
>
> Basically I just need to take the configuration provided by the pom
> above and put it into our pom.xml - right?

Yes, that would be a start, but as another user points out, it may not
go far enough...it just depends on your code. If it mostly acts as a
library, then it might be enough, but if it attempts to do code loading
or makes assumptions about class visibility, then you can still run into
issues.

If you want to understand a little bit about OSGi, then you could look
at this presentation:

http://felix.apache.org/site/presentations.data/Learning_to_ignore_OSGi.pdf

It will at least give you some idea of what you are up against. :-)

-> richard