felix-users mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: I want your log4j code
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 13:02:10 GMT
To simply make log4j a bundle this probably works. The problem is though
that log4j has some more issues when being used in OSGi.

The configuration of log4j works with a log4j.properties file that it
tries to resolve using the classloader. So some recommendations were to
use a fragment bundle to give this config to log4j. This is far fom
ideal as the config is then statically defined in a jar.

In OSGi the recommended way of doing configuration is to use the config
admin service. This is a much bigger change though.
Fortunately there is already a nice solution in form of pax logging
which can use log4j as front end and also as backend. So I am not sure
if you have to fix the config issue.

So I think making log4j a bundle is a good step but probably not enough
to make it work nicely in OSGi.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider