felix-users mailing list archives

From Neil Bartlett <njbartl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ClassNotFoundException
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 19:34:12 GMT
As the stack trace shows, some code within Hibernate has done a
Class.forName() to look up com.MyClass. Of course in a modular world,
just a class name is not enough to find a class; you also have to know
which module has that class. In this case it looks like Hibernate has
guessed that it can just call Class.forName() with one argument, which
causes it to use its own classloader, which then delegates up to the
surrounding web container.

In other words, Hibernate is stupid, and breaks modularity! It's well
known to OSGi programmers as a "difficult" library to use.

If Hibernate could import the package containing the domain class, then
all would be well. Since you don't want to rebuild Hibernate for every
possible domain package, you could look at creating a fragment with
Hibernate as its host and adding the Import-Package for the domain.

Regards
Neil