felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Bundle Repository
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:04:06 GMT
On 4/18/12 08:12 , Neil Bartlett wrote:
> I assume you're talking about the new Resolver and Repository specifications that are
in the OSGi Enterprise R5 release? Because "OBR" is properly the name for the Felix implementation,
which has been available and released for several years.

> An early draft release of the Enterprise R5 spec was made publicly available in March
and can be downloaded now from the OSGi site. The official final release of these specs will
be some time later, depending on votes and lawyers etc, however the technical content is very
unlikely to change.

> I believe that the Felix org.apache.felix.bundlerepository implementation will NOT be
updated to comply with the new R5 specs. Richard is working on the RI for the R5 spec within
Felix but it is new code, based on the resolver in the core Felix framework.

I would like to see the Felix OBR implementation evolve to use the new
R5 resolver and repository specs, for sure.

Per-Erik, your confusion is likely due to the fact that the scope of
RFC-112 has changed over the course of its lifetime. Originally, it was
an API that was the precise basis for the Felix OBR implementation. Over
time, some holes were discovered in the API and Felix OBR evolved into
having its own API and well as supporting the original RFC-112.

During the spec process for RFC-112, it became clear that the scope was
too big (and there were too many bike shed issues) to complete it in a
reasonable amount of time, so the scope was pared back (even then it
still took a long time to complete). So, originally, RFC-112 dealt with
repositories, resolving, and deployment/provisioning, but now it only
deals with repositories and resolving. Further, there is no direct
relationship between the repositories and resolving.

In short, it became more low-level and only provides some of the
building blocks necessary to implement something like Felix OBR. So,
yes, I'd like to see Felix OBR built on top of these new building
blocks, but in the end it will still require that you tie yourself to a
specific implementation to get the full features of the current Felix OBR.

-> richard