felix-users mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Best practice on propagating configuration errors from ManagedFactoryService to client?
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:49:31 GMT
Hi,

Am 31.01.2012 um 09:40 schrieb Peter GardfjÀll:

> To my question:
>
> I have a ManagedFactoryService that creates service instances and I have
> another (client) bundle that creates instances by registering new
> configurations with the factory.
> What I currently find difficult is to propagate errors (such as a required
> configuration property missing) from the ManagedFactoryService to the
> client.
>
> When the client uses an invalid configuration dictionary to instantiate a
> new service instance as follows
>
>        // instantiate new service with serviceConfig as instantiation
> parameters
>        Configuration config =
> configurationAdmin.createFactoryConfiguration(factoryPid, null);
>        config.update(serviceConfig);
>
> no exception is raised despite the ManagedFactoryService throwing a
> ConfigurationException.
> I guess this is expected since configuration updates are handled on a
> separate thread of execution.
> But this is problematic since, from the client bundle's perspective, the
> configuration update appears to have been successful.
>
> So what I really need to know is if there is a best practice for
> propagating the configuration error from the ManagedFactoryService to the
> client?
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, this might be perceived as a problem. But this is how decoupling works.

If you want to have tight coupling between the configuration producer (client you say) and
the service producer (ManagedServiceFactory in your case) then you have to do close coupling:
Create a factory which is fed by the client with configuration, checks this configuration
and then does the rest.

For example: Provide a service where clients can send configuration. Ther service checks the
configuration and fails if the configuration is bad. Otherwise the service creates the FactoryConfiguration
on behalf of the client and thus causes the ManagedServiceFactory to be put in action.

One way of doing this might be leveraging Declarative Services ComponentFactory components.
These expose a ComponentFactory service with a newInstance method taking a Dictionary object.
If the creation instances fails due to wrong configuration you get direct feedback by getting
an Exception.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Felix