felix-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Resources administration / Virtual Bundle
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:32:36 GMT
Hello Fabian,

On Dec 6, 2011, at 9:07 AM, Fabian Broekhof wrote:

> I'm relatively new to Apache Felix.
> We are doing a project for component distribution on an Android platform,
> using Apache Felix and Ace.
> We have the basic distribution working.

Because you and I started discussing this outside of the list, people might need a bit more
context. When you say "component distribution on an Android platform" you actually mean you're
installing APK's (the native format for Android packages, how apps are packaged) this way.

> We do have an issue for choosing the right solution for administration of
> all this.
>
> For bundles, we can do a Felix.getBundleContext().getBundles(), and we
> retrieve all bundles.
> Because we have resources (they will factually run on the Android OS), we
> don't have bundles registered.
>
> I read about the Virtual-Bundle concept. This Virtual-Bundle corresponds to
> a resource. So we connect the OSGI runtime world with the Android world.

I think Richard wrote the page on the concept of virtual bundles, I'm sure he can elaborate
a little bit on why they were designed and if he thinks this is a good use case for them.

> Some say this is not the way to do it, because the resource is NO bundle.
> Which is true.

Yeah, that's actually my opinion. Virtual bundles in the end are modelled as bundles because
they expose the same things as "real" bundles. Your Android APK files are applications that
do not directly interact with the OSGi container, they just happen to be installed / updated
/ removed from OSGi. Therefore I think you should keep track of them in a separate, custom
list instead of adding them as virtual bundles to the list of bundles available in the framework.

> I love to know how you think about this subject?
>
> We are also open for better suggestions to how to keep track of our
> resources (which are administered in the resourcestore). Is the alternative
> to build an OSGI service which accesses the resourcestore?

That sounds like a good plan: if Android somewhere already keeps track of them, just expose
them as a service. At the same time, if you deploy these APK files via Apache ACE, it will
already keep track of what is installed where on the server side.

Greetings, Marcel