felix-users mailing list archives

From Fabio Fonseca <fabio.l.fons...@gmail.com>
Subject Dynamically change the bound service
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:38:54 GMT

Hello all,

I'm starting to develop my master thesis and this is my first post to this
forum. My research concerns the challenges of developing Self-Adaptable
software (software that can change its behavior in response to a change in
its operation context). Right now I'm doing an assessment aiming to find
which technologies are available today that could help achieving a
self-adaptable software.

I'm using Apache Felix + iPOJO to develop a simple test. I have a consumer
which wants to consume providers that implement a interface named
InterfaceOne. I have two providers that fits this requirement (named
ProviderA and ProviderB). They all do nothing useful, I am just trying to
produce a self-adaptable behavior.

I am using the launcher.jar which is provided with the code that comes with
the great book "OSGi in Action". This launcher creates an instance of the
Felix Framework and loads the bundles found in the bundles/ directory passed
as a parameter when running the launcher.jar.

So I have 4 bundles. Each one of them has an iPOJO component inside it,
except the first one that just has the InterfaceOne interface:
. services-1.0.jar
. consumer-1.0.jar
. providerA-1.0.jar
. providerB-1.0.jar

The consumer is a simple http listener that uses localhost port 8080 to
listen to anything that may appear. When something access the port 8080, it
calls the available provider.

When I start the launcher, all bundles are active and OSGi chooses one of
the providers and binds it to the consumer. Using the shell commands I'm
able to stop the providers' bundles and when I do it, the consumer is
invalidated (as per the iPOJO lifecycle).

I concluded that when I start the consumer bundle the available provider is
bound to the consumer and it remains bound even when I stop its bundle (in
the OSGi lifecycle). The cenario is:

- start ProviderA
- start Consumer (consumer starts since its dependency is satisfied)
- start ProviderB
- stop ProviderA (consumer is still valid in the OSGI's lifecycle, since
there is a provider (ProviderB) that satisfy its dependency)

At this moment, if I call localhost:8080, the consumer uses ProviderA, even
when ProviderA is not available anymore. I conclude that the binding between
Consumer and its provider (which is in this case still the ProviderA)
continues to exist even when I stop ProviderA. I read somewhere that iPOJO
lifecycle takes over OSGi's lifecycle, but when I stop ProviderA, the
component becames Invalidated (I know because I placed a method that is
called when the provider is invalidated). So, even with the provider
Invalidated, it is still called. I  also read somewhere that each component
is implemented as a Singleton by default, and I have not changed its
behavior. So, I'm lost here. I expected that, in the above cenario,
ProviderB would be called instead of ProviderA.

Anyone has a clue that could help me understand how this mechanism works?
Attached you can find a file with all my source code and ant tasks I'm using
to play with iPOJO and OSGi.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p32999833/OIA%2BCode.zip OIA+Code.zip

Thanks a lot in advance!
Fabio Fonseca