felix-users mailing list archives

From Neil Bartlett <njbartl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embed-Dependency problem with Maven Bundle plugin
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:34:05 GMT
Hi Barbara,

I believe what you're seeing is correct behaviour.... you're
unfortunately now paying the price of embedding.

Embedding a dependency doesn't get you out of jail for free. When you
embed a library, you now inherit all of its dependencies. If you embed
all those libraries as well, then you inherit an even bigger set of
dependencies! Unless you can find a way to cut through this, you end
up building a huge bundle with a Bundle-Classpath that looks very much
like the classpath you had before you started using OSGi...

Ultimately the only real solution is to depend on fewer third party
libraries, especially ones that drag in a huge tree of transitive
dependencies. Sadly this is the point where many people get pissed off
with OSGi, but they're only shooting the messenger.

Sorry for the pessimistic tone. An acceptable interim position for
many people is to create a single large bundle containing all of their
third-party library dependencies; at least they can then apply OSGi
modularity to their own application code.

Regards,
Neil

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Barbara Rosi-Schwartz
<Barbara.Rosi-Schwartz@iggroup.com> wrote:
> Thanks Stuart, very clear explanation.
>
> The problem I am facing now is that, in the generated manifest, the Import-Package clause
contains packages that are not immediately required by the classes in the bundle to be. Why
is that? The main issue is that these Import-Package elements end up dragging in all sorts
of transitive dependencies and I am finding myself pulling on a very long string...

> Do I need to configure the Import-Package clause as well?
>
> TIA,
> B.

I want embedded as:

>> <Embed-Dependency>uk.co.igindex.singlesignon.client,uk.co.igindex.spri
>> ngrest.client,uk.co.igindex.springrest.domain;scope=compile|runtime;in
>> line=false</Embed-Dependency>
>
> The Embed-Dependency grammar is defined here:
>
>   http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html#ApacheFelixMavenBundlePlugin%28BND%29-Embeddingdependencies
>
> Clauses are separated by commas and if you don't specify an attribute (ie. attr=value)
then it defaults to the artifactId

> Therefore:
>
>   <Embed-Dependency>uk.co.igindex.singlesignon.client,uk.co.igindex.springrest.client,uk.co.igindex.springrest.domain;scope=compile|runtime;inline=false</Embed-Dependency>
>
> is parsed as:
>
>   ( artifactId=uk.co.igindex.singlesignon.client )
>   OR ( artifactId=uk.co.igindex.springrest.client )
>   OR ( artifactId=uk.co.igindex.springrest.domain AND ( scope=compile OR scope=runtime
) AND don't inline )

> If you want to list alternative values for a given attribute use the pipe symbol | as
follows

>   <Embed-Dependency>uk.co.igindex.singlesignon.client|uk.co.igindex.springrest.client|uk.co.igindex.springrest.domain;scope=compile|runtime;inline=false</Embed-Dependency>
>
> Finally is "uk.co.igindex.singlesignon.client" the concatenated groupId + artifact? If
so then you could use something like:

>   <Embed-Dependency>artifactId=client|domain;groupId=uk.co.igindex.*;scope=compile|runtime;inline=false</Embed-Dependency>
>
> to select dependencies with groupIds that start with "uk.co.igindex..." and that have
"client" or "domain" artifactIds

> HTH
>
>> I get the following warning:
>>
>> [WARNING] Embed-Dependency: clause "uk.co.igindex.singlesignon.client"
>> did not match any dependencies [WARNING] Embed-Dependency: clause
>> "uk.co.igindex.springrest.client" did not match any dependencies
>> [WARNING] Embed-Dependency: clause
>> "uk.co.igindex.springrest.domain;scope=compile|runtime;inline=false"
>> did not match any dependencies
>>
>> and no dependencies are actually embedded. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> TIA,
>> B.
>>
>> BARBARA ROSI-SCHWARTZ
>> Senior Developer
>>
>> IG Group|Cannon Bridge House
>> 25 Dowgate Hill|London|EC4R ZYA
>>
>> t: +44(0)20 7573 0208 (Direct)
>> t: +44(0)20 7896 0011 (Switchboard)
>> w: www.iggroup.com
>>

>> ________________________________
>> The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use
of the addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient,
please do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please
also notify the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and
then delete the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc) that do not relate
to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed
by it. IG Group Holdings plc is a company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902.
VAT registration number 761 2978 07. Registered Office: Cannon Bridge House, 25 Dowgate Hill,
London EC4R 2YA. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register
number 114059.