felix-users mailing list archives

From Andrei Pozolotin <andrei.pozolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Latest maven-bundle-plugin 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:32:50 GMT
Stuart:

1) this answers my question, thank you.

2) patch would likely be an overkill;

3) but copy/paste of your answer to your FAQ would definitely help others;

Andrei.

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: Latest maven-bundle-plugin 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT
From: Stuart McCulloch <mcculls@gmail.com>
To: users@felix.apache.org
Date: Fri 18 Nov 2011 11:36:25 AM CST
> On 18 Nov 2011, at 14:53, Andrei Pozolotin wrote:
>
>> Stuart:
>>
>> probably I could ask more simple question:
>>
>> how is <Service-Component> related to <Include-Resource>?
> This is a BND feature - when you use the Service-Component instruction it scans the project
classpath for components and adds the necessary XML to the final bundle, therefore Include-Resource
is not necessary.

> But if you generate files under OSGI-INF using another mechanism then they won't end
up in the bundle unless you add that directory using Include-Resource (this goes back to the
core design decision that BND pulls classes and resources into the bundle, rather than just
taking everything under target/classes). We try to provide reasonable defaults on the Maven
side in the bundleplugin so local classes/resources will end up in the bundle without additional
configuration, but we do this by looking at the effective pom and src/ folder rather than
the generated target/

> If you think there's a case where we could deduce a local resource should be in the bundle
(ie. from the pom or src/, not just because it's under target/) and it isn't then please open
an issue with a suggested patch.

> HTH
>
>> in other words, do you automatically include the resources listed in
>> service component?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Andrei

direct from Maven and don't do any parent-pom processing ourselves

>>> you can investigate this with:
>>>
>>> a)  "mvn help:effective-pom"  to find out what the merged pom looks like from
Maven's perspective - it may be that the merged pom is not quite what you expect, hence the
different results

>>> b)  "mvn -X clean install"  and capture the output, search for the "BND" sections
which show the exact instructions sent to BND and the manifest received back

>>> if things are still unclear post the results of the above in a followup (check
in case the output contains confidential info) or sent it direct to me

with improved parsing of the Embed-Dependency instruction.

the dependencies available for embedding, which is much more intuitive:

give it a try and let me know if you see anything unusual with this update :)