felix-users mailing list archives

From Justin Edelson <jus...@justinedelson.com>
Subject Re: offline deployment of bundles?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:12:38 GMT

On Oct 13, 2011, at 8:44 AM, sam ” <skynare@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm using Felix Web Console to deploy bundles to running Felix.
>
> pkg="$1"
> host="$2"
> url="http://$host/system/console/install"
> curl -f -F"action=install" -F"_noredir_=_noredir_" -F"bundlefile=@$pkg"
> -F"bundlestart=start" -F"bundlestartlevel=20" -F"refreshPackages=true" -u
> "$cred" "$url" || err "bad"
>

> But this causes too much trouble for production.
> Felix just hangs... and bundles are in Installed state, not Active.. And, I
> can't make the bundles Active by clicking Web Console's button.

I'd suggest taking a thread dump. This sounds like a deadlock.

> What is a proper way to deploy OSGi bundles to Felix?
> Is there a way to shutdown Felix completely, and deploy the bundles and
> bring the Felix back up?

You can do something like that with FileInstall, but keep in mind that installing a bundle
into a framework necessitates the framework is running. You can shutdown Felix and put some
files in the FileInstall watched directory but the bundles won't actually get installed until
the framework is running.

> It is scary to deploy bundles on a live and busy server without taking it
> down first.

It shouldn't be scary. It's scary to have to restart the JVM to change one line of code. If
installing/updating a bundle causes a deadlock, that's a bug.

Justin