felix-users mailing list archives

From Neil Bartlett <njbartl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedding felix and using felix.auto.deploy.dir
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:03:37 GMT
Hi David,

The fact that Eclipse is based on OSGi has absolutely no bearing on
whether it is the best IDE for OSGi development. It's an
implementation detail.

Having said that, I believe the best IDE for OSGi development is
Bndtools, which is based on Eclipse. However I am slightly biased
since I wrote (most of) it.

I'm not aware of any OSGi-specific development support in NetBeans,
though I have heard that it has good Maven integration, so that might
be good if you intend to use the Felix Maven Bundle Plugin. IntelliJ
has a plugin called Osmorc that has similar goals and design
philosophy as Bndtools.

Rgds,
Neil

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM, David Griffin
<david.griffin@parasense.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for your replies Richard and Neil. I'll look into both suggestions. In fact, I'd
just come across the launcher sample at http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-launching-and-embedding.html
and also the Chapter 13 example paint application from the book. I'll start with those and
see how I get on.

> On a slight aside, do you have any recommendations as to which IDE would be the best
choice for developing my application and bundles? I'm currently experimenting with NetBeans
(v7.x), but in my trawl through the web for information, I've seen many references to Eclipse
actually being based on the OSGi framework, so I'm wondering if that would be a better choice
of IDE.