felix-users mailing list archives

From Neil Bartlett <njbartl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedding felix and using felix.auto.deploy.dir
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:48:02 GMT
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:27 PM,  <thiebault@artenum.com> wrote:
>> Bear in mind that auto-deployment from a directory has a number of
>> issues
> when it comes to production usage, for example the ordering of
>> installs, security
>> etc. However it is perfectly acceptable for development and testing.
>
> And when it comes to production usage, what would you recommend? Write a application-specific
bundle installer?

In production usage you typically know in advance which bundles will
be included, so you want a launcher that reads a config file and
installs all of the listed bundles at once. The built-in Felix
launcher should be fine for this.

Even in extensible applications where users install their own bundles
at a later date, I believe there should be some control... requiring
the new bundles to be added to the config file seems sensible.

> I have a code repository with a plenty of OSGi bundle and depending on the bundles I
include, I want to package different applications (a little bit like the different Eclipse
distributions for instance). Currently, I use Ant
> and auto-deployment to do it, but there is nothing standard or reusable in my script...
And apparently, it's not recommended for production :-)

I think it's fine to use tools like OBR etc to prepare the
configuration of a runtime in advance. But then you need to test the
selected set of bundles as a coherent set, and lock it down.

All of this is IMHO of course.

Rgds,
Neil