felix-users mailing list archives

From Karl Pauls <karlpa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependencies, Exports and Imports Query
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:44:18 GMT
It looks to me like you are embedding the org.osgi.core classes inside
your bundle. That doesn't sound like a good idea...

regards,

Karl

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Eamonn Maguire
<eamonn.maguire@st-annes.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> The full error there was:
>
> [ERROR] Error building bundle org.isatools.plugins:isavalidatorconvert:bundle:1.0 : Exception:
Not a valid class file (no CAFEBABE header)
> [ERROR] Error building bundle org.isatools.plugins:isavalidatorconvert:bundle:1.0 : Invalid
class file: *.class

> For some reason, not everything copied. This is what you get when working late :)
>
> Eamonn
>
> On 19 Sep 2011, at 22:35, Eamonn Maguire wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for your prompt response. So, I tried that and the following problems have
come up.

>> [ERROR] Error building bundle org.isatools.plugins:isavalidatorconvert:bundle:1.0
: Exception: Not a valid class file (no CAFEBABE header)

>> The edited pom.xml file I'm using is here: https://gist.github.com/1227576
>>
>> Eamonn
>>

>> On 19 Sep 2011, at 22:22, <mvangeertruy@comcast.net<mailto:mvangeertruy@comcast.net>>
wrote:

>> Eamonn,
>>

>> The dependencies section is only really used to build your .jar file when you have
pakcages external to your bundle included in the Export-Package section of your maven-bundle
plugin.  I believe the reason that you're experiencing the bundling of your .jar file with
your bundle is because of your maven-assembly-plugin implementation.

>> What I would suggest you do is change your packaging type to "bundle", comment out
your maven-assembly-plugin section and attempt to compile again. The maven-bundle-plugin will
take care of most of the stuff you're trying to do in your maven-assembly-plugin and is a
cleaner approach. This will also ensure that you don't get erroneous dependant .jar files
compiled in with your application.

>> The dependancy is still needed if you have references to that external library in
your Import-Package section of your maven-bundle-plugin implementation.

>> So, in short, keep the dependancy, and comment out your maven-assembly-plugin code.
>>

>> Please let me know if that helps!

process was relatively pain free, I'm having some problems with getting plugins to work without
having all my dependencies in the host project.

>> For the plugin I'm using, the pom.xml file can be seen here: https://gist.github.com/1227576
>>
>> For the dependencies:
>>
>> 1) The ISAcreator dependency is the actual host program, where the plugins are to
be deployed.
>> 2) The import_layer artifact is used for validation and conversion, which the plugin
does and contains a class called BIIObjectStore (this becomes relevant below). It is NOT an
OSGi module.

>> The problem
>> Everything is working as long as the import_layer dependency is in the host pom.xml
dependencies, but this defeats the purpose of the plugin. But when it's not included, I get
a classnotfoundexception when I attempt to execute the code in the plugin (there are no complaints
when felix starts and the plugin is loaded). I'm not totally sure why it's not working since
the resulting jar produced when I run mvn clean install contains the class. It's just not
being 'seen' when it is executed.

>> The plugin configuration as seen in the file is probably not doing something right,
and as you can see, the current version of that file is doing everything.

>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm banging my head against a
brick wall on this one.

>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Eamonn Maguire

Karl Pauls