felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Graphical OSGi development tools?
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:03:21 GMT
On 9/27/11 11:54 AM, Teemu Kanstrén wrote:
> OSGI solves some set of classloading issues if you need to run plenty of
> fullblown apps inside a single container. In other cases it just provides a
> big pile of additional classloader issues. In many cases it is even rather
> unclear to me why people wish to run many full apps inside a single
> container.

This is not really true and was never the reason why I got into OSGi in
the first place. If you are building an application out of independently
developed third-party components, then you cannot control the precise
version of everyone's dependencies, thus you need a module system to do
it for you because you will likely end up with conflicts if you don't.

> In the case of customizing some wizards I would definitely not
> apply OSGI but just some basic interface design and plugin architecture.

A plugin architecture is the perfect example of building a single
application out of third-party components. For example, you cannot
control which version of Apache Commons some arbitrary plugin uses, so
if you load two plugins that both need different versions, you'd be dead
in the water without something like OSGi.

Of course, you are free to create something plugin mechanism that
minimally provides some of OSGi's isolation features, but this starts
you down the slippery slope of reinventing the wheel, because you'll
eventually decide you need shared library support, native library
support, dynamism, etc.

The real reason people run into so many issues when trying OSGi is
because they are either knowingly or unknowingly trying to use legacy
code that makes tons of assumptions about global type visibility. It has
very little to do with multiple versions being present at the same time.

-> richard