felix-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Managing Dynamism
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 21:29:28 GMT
On 14 Jul 2011, at 23:00 , <john.dunlap@exceter.com> wrote:

> I would like to hide the update mechanism from the end user. As far as the client is
be concerned, the application should be versioned as a whole. For example, I would like the
client to see that an update from version 1.2.3.4 to 1.2.3.5 is available. Behind the scenes
the update would be a collection of bundles. The bundles would be versioned separately but
the update(collection of bundles) would be tested as a unit in my test environment before
being made available to the client.

You're pretty much describing the way Apache ACE handles the deployment of bundles (and configuration).
They are distributed in a deployment package. Deployment packages are versioned sets of artifacts.
Every time you change something in the set of bundles (for that client) its version number
is bumped.

> I'd also like to be able to give the client a menu for falling back to a previous version.

The management agent on the client can make that decision (to go back to any previous version
in fact). Hooking that up to the UI isn't hard.

Greetings, Marcel