felix-users mailing list archives

From Markus Joschko <markus.josc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven-bundle-plugin has issues with maven3...
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:43:51 GMT
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Stuart McCulloch <mcculls@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2011, at 15:57, Markus Joschko wrote:

you also pick up a different version of the bundle plugin?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX/component/12311143 and attach instructions, etc.

>> So there is no setting to specify from which repository to pick the bundle?
>
> Looking at the code:
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/releases/maven-bundle-plugin-2.3.5/doc/site/xref/org/apache/felix/obrplugin/ObrDeploy.html#326
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/releases/maven-bundle-plugin-2.3.5/doc/site/xref/org/apache/felix/obrplugin/ObrUtils.html#116
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/releases/maven-bundle-plugin-2.3.5/doc/site/xref/org/apache/felix/obrplugin/ObrUpdate.html#122
>
> it explicitly computes the location of the bundle in the local repository, and checks
that it exists - the only way I can see this working in Maven 2 is maybe it resolves and downloads
a copy of the artifact from the snapshot repository to the local repository (maybe it's related
to how Maven2 supports non-unique snapshots, whereas Maven3 doesn't https://cwiki.apache.org/MAVEN/maven-3x-compatibility-notes.html#Maven3.xCompatibilityNotes-NonuniqueSnapshotDeployments)

> There are options to alter the computed/public URL: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/releases/maven-bundle-plugin-2.3.5/doc/site/deploy-mojo.html
but nothing that would avoid the local repository check, since all the use-cases so far have
involved installing/deploying artifacts that already exist in the local repository.

I just wonder how they should get there? When the deploy plugin is not
putting it there, then only the install plugin will put a artifact
there. But that does not use the unique version numbers.
I can adopt my configuration to whatever is necessary. My use case is
to get the project compiled and deployed to the obr.

> Without an example project that recreates the issue it's hard to know a) exactly which
part of the code to fix/improve and b) whether that change truly resolves the original issue
- especially since I don't know what your POM looks like, what plugin executions it defines,
and in what order etc.

Yep I agree. Wasn't too hard so I created the example project that
reproduces the behaviour (at least for me)

> Of course patches are also welcome, some people find it easier to fix and test the plugin
locally rather than sanitise their existing POM.

>>> Wrt. differences between Maven 2/3, M3 is much more strict about plugin isolation
so it may be that your current setup just worked by coincidence (and not design) in M2...