felix-users mailing list archives

From Shamik Bandopadhyay <sham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Felix maven-bundle-plugin transitive dependency issue
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:34:24 GMT
Justin,

  Thanks for your insight. It is indeed helpful to get the concept and
suggestion from people who have dealt with it on their own. It
apparently makes sense to use OSGI bundles in a framework meant for
that, but in an open-source java world, it'll never be easy to have a
corresponding OSGi bundles for a standard jar. So,I guess, there'll be
a need for embedding libraries at times.

The issue I see with maven-bundle-plugin is the ease to adopt. Though
it looks fairly simple at the first glance, it does require some kind
of guessing. Atleast, that's what I feel based on my experience, as
well from Sam's feedback so far.

<<2) don't use transitive embeds - list all dependencies to be
embedded with a scope of compile and use the scope selector to pick
all compile scope dependencies>>
I've couple of questions based on your inputs. You've suggested not to
use Embed-Transitive, rather, list all dependencies with a scope
compile. When you say all dependencies, I guess, you meant it by the
depenedencies defined in the pom. How about the transitive
dependencies ? How they'll be resolved ?

<<4) finally, iteratively tweak the auto-generated imports>>
You mean altering the imports in generated manifest file ?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Justin Edelson
<justin@justinedelson.com> wrote:
> I would highly recommend not using resolution=optional with *
>
> It would be very atypical for *all* imports to truly be optional. When you use optional
imports blindly like this you will inevitably end up with the wrong class space at some point.