felix-users mailing list archives

From Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: modifying my app to use osgi
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:47:21 GMT
It can be made sort of pluggable.  There are jars that have OSGi
activators and manifests that handle all the OSGi-specific
functionality and are otherwise ignored when the jar's used outside of
OSGi.

A couple things you need to pay attention to:

- Thread control.  Just because you stop a bundle doesn't mean threads
that bundle started will be stopped as well.  So your thread
management needs to be sensitive to changes in the bundle state.

- Classloader.  Each bundle has its own classloader, and can have a
problem seeing class definitions outside itself unless specifically
made visible through the manifests.  Full classpaths aren't
sufficient; they need to be exposed.  And for the sake of passing
objects between bundles you may be relying on interfaces more than
usual.

Don