felix-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Recommended approach for consistent deployment
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 16:11:13 GMT
Hello Jim,

On 3 May 2011, at 17:52 , Jim Talbut wrote:

> I'm just starting out on the OSGi road and what bothers me is that the complete flexibility
offered by OSGi makes it difficult to ensure that every deployed instance is identical.
> With a pair of live instances and innumerable test instances I need to have a way to
deploy the whole shebang (felix, karaf, camel, CXF, spring, my bundles, various configuration
files) in a consistent way.
> What tools/techniques to people use to do this?

There are several options:

 - Pax Runner if you want to run an OSGi framework with a configurable set of bundles, but
don't need to update them once the framework is running.
 - Apache Felix File Install, also used in Apache Karaf, to deploy a configurable set of bundles
and configuration data based on a folder. Changes you make to the folder are "hot deployed".
 - Apache Felix OBR Shell, which can be used to install bundles and their dependencies based
on a (remote) bundle repository.
 - Apache ACE, a software provisioning server that allows you to manage many targets and install
and update bundles and configuration data to them automatically.

I'm sure I've missed some (outside of Apache).

Greetings, Marcel