felix-users mailing list archives

From Mike Ottinger <mottin...@tacitknowledge.com>
Subject Re: Accessing all of the configurations of a configuration factory
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 16:49:25 GMT
Thanks Felix,

	I'd actually realized this was overkill as well and found that a configurationFactory worked
just fine for what I was looking to do. I just had to bang my head against the wall to figure
out how I managed it within my service.

Thanks again.

On May 5, 2011, at 5:20 AM, Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Not sure, whether I really understand what you want to do ..
>
> Am Samstag, den 23.04.2011, 00:58 +0100 schrieb Mike Ottinger:
>> 	This seems like it'd be easy but I'm just not connecting the dots here. I've created
a component with configurationFactory set to true. I see then that I can create multiple instances
of these within Felix, and my code for this component nicely lists all of the configurations
made against it. All is well. The next step is having a separate service read all of these
configurations that were created.

> If you use the configurationFactory=true attribute to the @Component
> annotation a meta type descriptor is created which helps the GUI to
> create factory configurations for the component.
>
> Each factory configuration will cause the Declarative Services Runtime
> to create and activate an instance of the given component.
>
> So for four factory configurations cfg1, cfg2 , cfg3, and cfg4 you will
> get four component instances c1, c2, c3, and c4. Each of these will be
> handled "independently" and will also be registered as services
> independently if so declared.
>
> So, now you want to access the actual factory configuration and use the
> components actually just as providers for the configuration. Right ?
>
> Your approach sounds like overkill.
>
> Lets turn around: Assume you have a component instantiated once only but
> which you want to provide with factory configurations to act upon.
> Right ?
>
> Regards
> Felix
>

>> 	So my approach has been to simply have a reference to this component in my service.
My problem is that changes to the configuration component aren't propagated to the depending
service. I thought setting a reference policy of dynamic would do it, but I still seem to
hold onto the original values after re-configuring.

>> 	So I'm looking for ideas on what is probably a very simple concept. How do I reference
a separate component's configurations and receive changes from them? Do I need to implement
eventing to receive these updates or is there a better way to establish the reference so that
this works?