felix-users mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Accessing all of the configurations of a configuration factory
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 12:20:49 GMT
Hi Mike,

Not sure, whether I really understand what you want to do ..

Am Samstag, den 23.04.2011, 00:58 +0100 schrieb Mike Ottinger:
> 	This seems like it'd be easy but I'm just not connecting the dots here. I've created
a component with configurationFactory set to true. I see then that I can create multiple instances
of these within Felix, and my code for this component nicely lists all of the configurations
made against it. All is well. The next step is having a separate service read all of these
configurations that were created.

If you use the configurationFactory=true attribute to the @Component
annotation a meta type descriptor is created which helps the GUI to
create factory configurations for the component.

Each factory configuration will cause the Declarative Services Runtime
to create and activate an instance of the given component.

So for four factory configurations cfg1, cfg2 , cfg3, and cfg4 you will
get four component instances c1, c2, c3, and c4. Each of these will be
handled "independently" and will also be registered as services
independently if so declared.

So, now you want to access the actual factory configuration and use the
components actually just as providers for the configuration. Right ?

Your approach sounds like overkill.

Lets turn around: Assume you have a component instantiated once only but
which you want to provide with factory configurations to act upon.
Right ?

Regards
Felix

> 	So my approach has been to simply have a reference to this component in my service.
My problem is that changes to the configuration component aren't propagated to the depending
service. I thought setting a reference policy of dynamic would do it, but I still seem to
hold onto the original values after re-configuring.

> 	So I'm looking for ideas on what is probably a very simple concept. How do I reference
a separate component's configurations and receive changes from them? Do I need to implement
eventing to receive these updates or is there a better way to establish the reference so that
this works?