felix-users mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ArtifactInstaller.canHandle being passed a jar
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:33:37 GMT
I think changing the extension to not include ".jar" in the zipped jar
for an expanded directory should be easy to do.
And I agree the ArtifactInstaller + exploded directory seems somewhat broken.
Feel free to raise a JIRA (and eventually attach a patch).

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 21:31, Alasdair Nottingham <not@apache.org> wrote:
> That doesn't work for me because I have to use the extension. Also I'm not dealing with
bundles here.

> If I'm honest this seems broken, my canHandle could pass, but install fail because I
can't deal with a directory, when offering to handle I don't know if it is a file or a directory.

> Alasdair Nottingham
>
> On 1 Mar 2011, at 19:56, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The code doesn't work if you do a check based on the extension because
>> if you've seen the extension is lost when using exploded bundles.
>> What I've seen usually is to have the canHandle() method opening the
>> jar and look for a specific file in the zip or manifest information do
>> better determine if the artifact is supported or not.  For example the
>> pax-web deployer looks for a WEB-INF/web.xml file.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 20:33, Alasdair Nottingham <not@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In aries we have an ArtifactInstaller for FileInstall that is will
>>> install an OSGi Application. The code, in theory, can cope with it
>>> being either an archive with a .eba extension, or an expanded
>>> directory (also with a .eba extension). This does not work though. The
>>> reason is that when canHandle is called I am provided a jared up
>>> version of the directory, which ends with .jar. As a result canHandle
>>> returns false.
>>>
>>> If it returned true then the install method is called, but is passed
>>> the directory in watched directory. I was wondering why different
>>> things are being passed in these two cases. What is the right way to
>>> cope in this situation and correctly identify myself as being
>>> responsible.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Alasdair
>>>
>>> --