felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: About the startlevel
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:35:33 GMT
On 3/15/11 7:09, Michael Hess wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> i am navie. i wanna ask a question about startlevel.
>> is it important that set the startlevel, i mean what will happen if all
> >  bundle on the same level.

Typically, this is not an issue. There are only a handful of reasons why
you should worry about the start level. In general, it is the normal
situation that all bundles have the same start level.

> You don't get any guarantee about the sequence in which bundles are
> started then.

I think the spec says something about ordering withing a start level
too, but this is irrelevant really since you shouldn't depend on ordering.

> If you need some package to be exported before hand, you MUST assure that
> the exporting bundle is started before the importing one. This can be
> assured by proper startlevels.

You do not need start levels at all for package sharing. In fact, the
resolver completely ignores start levels and will automatically handle
package dependencies irrespective of the start level. In other words, a
bundle can share packages even if it isn't started and/or its start
level isn't met.

> This could (not must!) be a problem if your bundles rely on the presence
> of a specific service when they start. If you build your software, so that
> it is capable of coping with services to appear later on (i.e. after they
> have already started), then it will not matter that much. Otherwise you
> will want to assure that the service is there before you access it.

Rely on service dependency management, not ordering. Code that relies on
ordering should be considered broken.

> But keep in mind, that by doing so you essentially undermine the dynamic
> nature of the OSGi system. Though the consumed service might be there when
> your bundle starts, the service could nevertheless disappear later on. So
> it also depends on how much "control" you have over the overall runtime.
> If you build a closed source product, where everything is under your
> control, you can of course put rules into place, that specific situations
> are simply not supported. This means, that though you cannot prevent the
> afforementioned service to disappear technically, you can still define
> that it is not permitted to remove the service.

Yes, all of this depends on the given situation and what you can do
about it.

> Though this might at first seem a bit like "cheating", I can tell from
> first hand experience, that when it comes to parts of a running(!) system
> to disappear, things WILL get tricky. So I think it is always a good
> choice to check what you gain by this degree a flexibility in contrast to
> the additional efforts in implementation and complexity.
>
> But back to the main topic: I think, that usually you will have some kind
> of sequence, that simply "makes sense". So use the startlevels to achieve
> this sequence. That's at least how I tend to do it. And it works out fine
> so far.

Still, I'd recommend completely ignoring start levels unless you run
into some misbehaving bundle that requires otherwise.

-> richard

> bye,
> Michael
>

> The information included in this e-mail and any files transmitted with it is strictly
confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this e-mail
as well as any attachment from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are
not authorized to use and/or copy this message and/or attachment and/or disclose the contents
to any other person.