felix-users mailing list archives

From Peter Kriens <peter.kri...@aqute.biz>
Subject Re: Updatable agent with OSGI. Possible?
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:09:37 GMT
A key question is if you care about who is running the code. That is, do you want to be in
control to shut down each and every framework at any time? In that case ACE is a proper direction.
However, if you just want to fire and forget then there are many simple methods:

* Apache FileInstall + Dropbox. Just drop your bundles in a Dropbox folder and everyone that
you share it with automatically installs the bundles + configurations. Scales very well and
is pretty secure.
* Create a launcher that reads a URL for a Java Properties file. One of the properties is
the set of bundles that needs to be installed as URLs. Create a Felix instance with the launcher
API, give it the properties and install the bundles, then start all bundles. While the framework
is running, check the Properties URL every 15 mins or so with an HEAD method and relaunch
when changed.
* Use Neil Bartlets S3Install https://github.com/njbartlett/pmpp

Have fun, kind regards,

	Peter Kriens