felix-users mailing list archives

From Andriy Drozdyuk <dro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updatable agent with OSGI. Possible?
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2011 17:46:31 GMT
Could you not host a ORB (bundle repository) with something like maven
on the dropbox share?
As it manages versioning automatically - I think that would solve you problems.

You would push new versions of the bundles to the repository - and
then clients should retrieve them.
-Andriy Drozdyuk

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Marcel Offermans
<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2011, at 0:48 , Andriy Drozdyuk wrote:
>
>> Dropbox? Does that really work? Haha!
>> Does one have to "mount" the folder every time - or can some kind of
>> "url" be used?
>
> Dropbox, on my Mac, just looks like a local folder that appears on startup and automatically
keeps the data in sync, so that works great.

> Perhaps the biggest issue with systems like this, is the fact that if you for example
need to update 5 bundles, you copy them one by one, and you can get all kinds of intermediate
states where file install has detected 2 out of 5 updates for example, updates those bundles
and leaves the other 3, which might lead to applications that for a (long or short, depending
on the speed of the sync) period of time might not work as expected.

> But for development and quickly sharing updates and keeping a couple of frameworks in
sync that way, it's a great tool!