felix-users mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Some HTTP Bundles cannot be started on JVM 1.4
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:14:56 GMT
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.02.2011, 11:09 +0000 schrieb Shigekuni Kondo:
> Dear Felix Experts,
>

> I would like to run Felix OSGi framework and bundles
> on JVM 1.4 or CDC FP1.1.
>
> However, following bundles cannot be started on JVM 1.4
> because "java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError" is occurred.
> It seems that the bundles are compiled to be compatible with JAVA 5.
>
> Apache Felix Http Jetty       (Version 2.0.4)
> Apache Felix Http Bundle      (Version 2.0.4)
> Apache Felix Http Bridge      (Version 2.0.4)
> Apache Felix Http Whiteboard  (Version 2.0.4)
>
> -----
> ERROR: Error starting file:./bundles/org.apache.felix.http.bundle-2.0.4.jar (org.osgi.framework.BundleException:
Activator start error in bundle org.apache.felix.http.bundle [20].)
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/felix/http/bundle/internal/CombinedActivator
(Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
> -----
>
> [Question]
> 1. Are the bundles implemented to be compatible with only
> JVM 1.5 or JVM 1.6?

The bundles use generics and I would even assume Java 5 API. So yes,
these bundles only work with 1.5 and newer.

> 2. If the answer of 1 is "NO", I will compile them to be
> compatible with JVM 1.4 on Maven. However, I cannot find
> the setting file for maven compiler plugin in felix trunk.
> (In fact, I don't know how to.)
> Could you please inform me the procedure? I use Maven 3.0.1.

The compiler setting is the parent pom of the http bundles inside
trunk/http. You might want to change the target setting to the largely
undocumented jsr14 setting, which generates Java 1.4 class files while
still supporting Java 5 syntax if at all possible.

Of course you still have the problems with used Java 5 API.

In addition, for the Jetty case: I am not sure whether the included
Jetty 6 runs on pre-Java 5 platforms.

Hope this helps ... and please report back if you have success. Thanks.

Regards
Felix