felix-users mailing list archives

From Kai Hackbarth <k.hackba...@prosyst.com>
Subject Re: UPnP and DLNA
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 12:57:11 GMT
Hi all,

the OSGi Residential Expert Group is currently collecting requirements for the new specification.
If you let us know the requirements, we can work on an update of the UPnP specification.

Regards,
Kai

Am 07.01.2011 um 13:47 schrieb Francesco Furfari:

> Dear LongkerDandy,
>
> I think the right place to ask about  updates of the UPnP Specification is the OSGi Alliance
(osgi-dev@mail.osgi.org)
> or the OSGi  Residential Expert Group.
>
> You are right, the OSGi UPnP specification hides a number of things (there are pro and
cons).
> Few weeks ago there was a simple request about DLNA.
> Please look at Felix-2370 issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-2730)
> Which are the missing features you would like to have in a customized UPnP implementation?
> Please open or modify  an issue and specify your requirements.
>
> Yes, the CyberlinkJava was not very active recently, but the bridge solves only partially
the problem, in any case (for DLNA)  we need a review of the specification.
> I don't know Cling, how much distance there is from the Cyberlink stack to easily design
an abstraction layer.
> Another approach would be the modularization of all the UPnP stack, I mean the clear
separation of the SOAP, GENA, and SSDP modules.

> Regards,
> Francesco
>

> On 06/01/2011 16.15, LongkerDandy wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm not sure this is the right place to talk about this.
>>

>> I've been trying to write a Media Server, for a while.
>> Already did some code with felix, (https://github.com/longkerdandy/chii2).
>>
>> I know OSGi has a UPnP standard and Felix has implement with CyberlinkJava.
>> But seems the project is not very active, even it shipped with a Media
>> Server sample, it won't work.
>>
>> The fact is most devices/softwares are now compatible with DLNA.
>> And they somehow buggy may need different headers or respond.
>>
>> OSGi hide all the UPnP stack, all I can get is a device interface.
>> I think the idea behind that is a full UPnP stack supports all the devices.
>> But this may not work in real world, especially the UPnP stack is not
>> actively maintained.
>>
>> Projects like PS3 Media Sever and Serviio is build from scratch.
>> Now I'm trying Cling(http://teleal.org/projects/cling), another Java UPnP
>> stack.
>>
>> My thought is,
>>
>> DLNA is not as open as UPnP.
>> OSGi may also support DLNA, and let us have a real OpenSource Java DLNA
>> implementation.
>>
>> For now, can we make a bridge between UPnP driver and real UPnP stack.
>> Thus make the UPnP stack switch-able.
>>
>> Regards
>> LongkerDandy

Kai Hackbarth · Evangelist & Chair OSGi Residential Expert Group
ProSyst Software GmbH
D-50858 Cologne, Germany . Dürener Strasse 405
Tel. +49 (0)221 6604 410 · Fax  +49 (0)221 6604 660
Mobile +49 (0)163 6604 410 · US Mobile +1-317-6039-264
http://www.prosyst.com · k.hackbarth@prosyst.com