felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: New OSGi presentation
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:01:52 GMT
On 1/20/11 17:13, Per-Erik Svensson wrote:
> Great read, although a little "hostile" to newcomers maybe. :)

I guess you could interpret it that way, but that wasn't the intent.
Maybe hostile to people who think they can use something without even
attempting to understand it, but really i was just trying to make
assumptions clear.

> The parts about class loading might, as others have suggested, be a bit too
> complex for us average java developers too. I certainly didn't know about
> this before starting with OSGi. And I still have alot to learn of course!
> And I believe this is the place where OSGi has the most left to do. Class
> method to be private, I never have to worry about how the JVM enforces that.
> In the same sense, I shouldn't have to worry about how OSGi enforces package
> visibility. But that's another story.

Technically, the presentation is about type visibility, not class
the end is a little more complicated. However, type visibility shines
through even in standard Java...if you don't understand how to set the
CLASSPATH variable, you don't get very far in Java. So, the main point
is that the "standard" type visibility rules no longer apply in OSGi,
you must learn new type visibility rules.

So, in that regard, I don't agree with your implication that you need to
worry about how OSGi enforces visibility, since I don't really talk
about class loaders at all. In the end, you need to understand what the
primitives mean and what to do when you get an error. Just like if you
make a method package private and try to access it from another
package...you have to understand that this is an error and how to fix
it. Module visibility is exactly the same (if you don't specify a type
as "module public" (i.e., export it) and then try to access it from
another module you'll get an error...no need to understand anything
about class loaders...but for debugging it can help to understand search
order, just like the class path).

> Also, I think a presentation like this is a great place to emphasize the
> difference between "jar dependency management" and "package dependeny
> management". Had I read the presentation a few years back (two maybe) before
> having started to "Felix" (yes, it's a verb now), I might have thought
> "Well, maven does most of this for me, and without those silly
> restrictions!.". It is a profound point about OSGi that might be easily
> missed when reading "starter materail". But I guess one can't cover
> everything at every possible depth. And you do talk about it, and you do
> mention versions. I just think that the whole "per package!!" idea might get
> lost between all modules, jars and cookies. :) A module is a set of
> packages, depending on other modules with packages. A module is not a jar
> with classes depending on other jars with classes (as with maven).

I agree that this is a distinction, but it is between Maven and OSGi.
This presentation highlights the differences between standard Java and
OSGi. In standard Java there is no concept of a dependency at all.
Perhaps there could be a footnote in there for all the Maven users. :-)

> And of course, to further shoot down "maven does it for me"-like arguments,
> slam a big "services means *modularized* *dynamism*" sticker on top of every
> page. Ok, don't... But, as I said, people might get the impression that OSGi
> is a way to manage your jars - when it can actually cook and wash your car
> too.

Yeah, this presentation focuses on the minimum...in particular, it
focuses purely on modularity since that is often the entry point for
people and they only get that far.

> As said, very interesting read! In fact, it got me wondering about a few
> things so I'm off asking questions in a mail list near you! Thanks! :)

Thanks for the feedback.

-> richard