felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: New OSGi presentation
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:32:04 GMT

On 1/20/11 10:47, john.dunlap@exceter.com wrote:
> Thanks for doing this Richard!
>
> I like the sound of OSGi but I've never made the leap to it because I
> don't feel that I understand it well enough to convince myself that it
> is the right direction to go in.
>
> Your slides have clarified a number of things for me and your
> analogies are both clever and funny! I found the slides very easy to
> follow but I found myself getting confused in the "Understanding
> search order" and "When things go wrong..." sections, I think
> partially because I don't have a solid grasp of the terminology. What
> is class loader delegation?
>
> I am familiar with the notion of dependency management from my
> experiences with using Maven to build my projects so I can somewhat
> follow you in the "When things go wrong..." section where you first
> mention transitive dependencies. However, old school developers that
> are stuck using Ant might find it more difficult. You touch on the
> subject in various places but I think it would be helpful if you had a
> couple of slides that briefly talked about dependency management in
> the context of OSGi before moving on to troubleshooting.

Those two sections will be the most difficult to follow, for sure, so
you'll just have to catch me presenting it sometime. :-)

Seriously, though, I am already working on improving that section by
trying to improve the error messages printed by the Felix framework. I
will see if there is anything else I can do to add some more
introductory overview for class loaders (without adding too many more
slides).

-> richard