felix-users mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: What do I do about strange package in Import-Package?
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:59:35 GMT
> 2011/1/12 Holger Hoffstätte<holger.hoffstaette@googlemail.com>
>
>> On 12.01.2011 15:13, Clay McCoy wrote:
>>> The whole reason that I am trying to use Embed dependencies and
>> transitive =
>>> true is so that I don't have to deal with dependencies.  They are all
>>> supposed to be embedded into a self contained jar.
>>> But now I am having to deal with sun.misc.  This seems like a conceptual
>>> flaw with the plugin or a misconception on my part.
>> The misconception on your part is the gross modularity violation by
>> Guava, which relies on a JDK-specific package. The error you get is
>> *good* and the whole point of OSGi. Blaming OSGi for the last 15 years
>> of Java's carelessness and the community's ignorance of modularity is
>> easy, but misses the point.
>>

> I'm not blaiming OSGI, I think its ideals are good. But it would be nice
> with tools to help lessen migratory pains, I'm not advocating changes in
> OSGI itself. On the other hand I myself am not willing to put effort into
> that, so I should probably shut up.

The reality is, you just keep perpetuating the same poor modularity
practices. Migration is a pain because there is a complete shift in
world view. You go from a world where every public type on the class
path is visible to one where only public types in java.* packages are
visible (unless you explicitly import additional packages). This is not
something that can easily be swept under the rug by tools, especially
when it comes to packages like sun.misc.

-> richard