felix-users mailing list archives

From Bjorn Roche <bj...@xowave.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/apple/eawt/ApplicationListener
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:58:51 GMT

On Dec 28, 2010, at 12:24 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> On 12/28/10 8:58, Bjorn Roche wrote:
>> First off, sorry if I am missing something obvious -- I've been
>> chugging away trying to "OSGi-ify" 250,000 lines of code  and it's
>> wrecking havoc on my basic ability to think, so I probably am
>> missing something obvious...
>>

>> Here's how I've been progressing:
>>
>> 1. First, I built a small infrastructure that lets me run my code
>> without JAR'ing it up, since JAR'ing my code after every small
>> change is going to be prohibitively slow. This is primarily
>> dependent on the "assembly" and "wrap" URL protocols from the pax
>> runner folks -- so they've done the hard work for me. I created a
>> project to help others with this as well, and once I get this
>> working I plan to put more instructions up:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/piecemeal/
>
> Did you know you can install an "exploded" bundle as a directory in
> both Equinox and Felix just by appending "reference:" to the URL
> pointing to the directory? This shouldn't be used in place of
> ultimately creating a JAR file, but it can help during development.

I did not. Sounds like the same concept as the assembly URL. When I
google this, all I get is ml postings and a few Eclipse articles. Is
there somewhere this is properly documented? Perhaps it will work
better than what I'm doing now.

>> 2. Replace sym links with actual files where necessary. The pax
>> runner code doesn't seem to like sym links.
>>
>> 3. The next step was to go through bit-by-bit and fix all the
>> dynamic class loading and resource loading. Since I've actually not
>> found good documentation explaining, from a user's standpoint, how
>> to do this, I just centralized my code and found something that
>> gets it done. If I'm doing it wrong, at least it's centralized so I
>> can change it easily.
>>
>> - if a bundle is available (OSGi case) use the classloader from the
>> bundle.
>> - if there is an object that likely used the same classloader I
>> wanted, which is often the case, get that object's classloader.
>> - failing that, eg, if I'm in a static context -- I use something
>> like this:
>> Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().loadClass(path);
>
> Not sure about all this. I have to assume you are doing some low-
> level stuff, since bundles typically shouldn't be doing this sort of
> thing.

I'm not doing anything special or low-level that I'm aware of. I did
that stuff because I discovered that
Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().getResource() doesn't
work in OSGi, nor does the System Classloader, but using the bundle
did work.

What /should/ I be doing to dynamically load classes and resources?

>> That's gotten me some distance. The app actually launches to a
>> point. I'm still having two problems, though:
>>
>> A. My app won't load any JNI stuff no matter what I do.
>> B. Putting that aside, I get this error:
>>
>> Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/apple/eawt/
>> ApplicationListener
>
> I don't know about this either. There are some issues with Java and
> the Mac Java GUI implementation, something about needing to use the
> right thread or something. Maybe it is related...

Hmmm, well I'd love to know what that is exactly, otherwise I may be
SOL. In the meantime, I will try the "exploded bundle" thing and see
if that works any better.

thanks for your help so far.

	bjorn