felix-users mailing list archives

From Peter Kriens <peter.kri...@aqute.biz>
Subject Re: Building OSGi bundles with Apache Ant
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:24:49 GMT
Sorry to hear you found bnd in ant too hard. However, wouldn't it be better to help to make
a front end for bnd in ant because that is where your pain seems to be?

Just looking at your source code it seems you miss a few references (annotations that refer
to classes, the Xyz.class reference (which is done differently in different compiler x version
combinations, create references to annotations that are not necessary, etc). You also miss
some really important features like version policies and lack of any validation. And though
importing exported packages is good, there are unfortunately cases where it causes problems.

So why is bnd's ant support not so good? Though I use use ant, in my case ant is just for
compilation and leave the rest to bnd. I also just do not like XML :-( However, you're requirement
is legit.

I'd actually like to ask you to use bnd under the covers for your work instead of redoing
this work and having to relearn a lot of the lessons. I think it is actually quite easy using
the bndlib and the Builder. This will allow you to have an XML syntax that is more comfortable
for you while not missing out on the large experience that bnd carries. And maybe even more
important, when you need that complicated feature when your bundles become more complex, it
is actually already there.

Let me know if you would like to do this and need some help getting started. Kind regards,

	Peter Kriends