felix-users mailing list archives

From Alasdair Nottingham <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issues that need to be addressed in Apache Felix and the OSGi specification
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:49:04 GMT

Alasdair

On 24 Nov 2010, at 17:18, John Platts <john_platts@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Other real use cases where offline inspection would not be sufficient include:
> - Some libraries rely on META-INF/services to discover implementations of interfaces.
Although these implementations can be exposed as OSGi services, many of these libraries must
work outside of the OSGi environment. Many of these libraries implement custom service discovery
code because they support J2SE 1.4 or Java SE 5. The java.util.ServiceLoader class requires
Java SE 6 or later, and it is also not OSGi-aware. In addition, the org.osgi.util.tracker.ServiceTracker
class can only be used in the OSGi environment, and requires a valid BundleContext.
> - Web Application Bundles running in a servlet container implementing the Servlet 3.0
specification or later require access to resources in the META-INF directory of bundles referenced
by Web Application Bundles

Sooty if this a bit blunt, but why? What does it need from these other bundles? Are these
resources spec mandated in some way?

>> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:52:54 +0100
>> Subject: Re: Issues that need to be addressed in Apache Felix and the OSGi specification
>> From: gnodet@gmail.com
>> To: users@felix.apache.org
>>
>> If you're referring to the fact that using spring custom namespaces in
>> osgi forces you to actually import a lot of packages, this is indeed a
>> problem specific to the way Spring-DM handles custom namespaces.
>> Do you have use cases for that other than when using SPring-DM ? If
>> so, can you explicit the real use cases where offline inspection would
>> not be sufficient ?
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 17:28, John Platts  wrote:
>>>
>>> I actually want to address issues with Felix and the OSGi specification that
are not specific to the Spring Framework, Spring DM, or Eclipse Gemini.

>>> One of the real issues that I want to address is to be able to import bundles
containing certain packages without having to list all of the packages exported by that bundle
and without having to know the symbolic name of the bundle. This feature is useful because:
>>> - It eliminates the need to do a dynamic import of the needed packages
>>> - It allows entire bundles to be imported without having to know the symbolic
names of the bundles
>>> - It does not require the user to know all of the packages exported by a bundle

bundles that utilize the Spring Framework. The problems that I have been running into are:
files in JARs that have these files
header of web application bundles that utilize the Spring Framework

instead of by specifying the symbolic names of the bundles.
loaders of bundles that meet at least one of the following criteria:
importing package(s), and/or dynamically importing package(s)) plus has a DynamicImport-Package
header that includes META-INF and its subdirectories

Web Application Bundles without having to rely on workarounds.