felix-users mailing list archives

From Nima Kaviani <nima.kavi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enforcing Class Unloading
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:18:40 GMT
Thanks John for the reply.

you are right, I think OSGi supports dynamic swapping through enforcing a
programming model that needs to be admitted to by both the service providers
and the service consumers. In my particular case however, I am reluctant to
assume that all other bundles need to follow this programming model.
Especially because I am dealing with bundles which may not necessarily have
the source code for their classes available. Even though for exposed
services the problem is taken care of by the OSGi internals, I don't want to
enforce this constraint to all the other classes in the bundle. So, I wonder
if hot swapping can be done with minimal intervention to the internals of
other previously written bundles.

As a separate question, do we always assume that all classes in a bundle are
either not shared with other bundles or if shared, it is through the OSGi
service registry? And that if sharing through import-packge and
export-package constructs happen, then there is no guarantee for proper code
swapping to take place?

cheers,
-Nima

--