felix-users mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issues that need to be addressed in Apache Felix and the OSGi specification
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:02:06 GMT
On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 16:51, John Platts <john_platts@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been running into several problems when developing web application bundles that
utilize the Spring Framework. The problems that I have been running into are:
> - The Spring Framework needs to access META-INF/spring.handlers and META-INF/spring.schemas
files in JARs that have these files
> - The Spring Framework needs access to packages that are not in the Import-Package header
of web application bundles that utilize the Spring Framework

I agree those are real issues with Spring-DM.  But that's not really
the place for such discussions.
FWIW, you should give Aries Blueprint a try, as all those problems
have been solved in it.

> The issues that really need to be addressed in both Apache Felix and the OSGi specification
are:
> - The ability to require bundles by specifying packages that they export instead of by
specifying the symbolic names of the bundles.
> - The ability to make META-INF and its subdirectories visible to class loaders of bundles
that meet at least one of the following criteria:
>  - Requires a bundle
>  - Imports all of the packages exported by the bundle (by requiring bundle(s), importing
package(s), and/or dynamically importing package(s)) plus has a DynamicImport-Package header
that includes META-INF and its subdirectories

> Addressing the issues above will make it easier to use OSGi bundles from Web Application
Bundles without having to rely on workarounds.

What are you underlying problem ? Maybe they already have some
solutions.  For the first one, this is an OSGi good practice and is
done widely, so not sure what your issue is.  The second one might be
related to various issues which i'm quite sure have been fixed in
various ways (having solved some myself).

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet