felix-users mailing list archives

From Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com>
Subject Logging in Karaf/OSGI
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 07:32:42 GMT
I'm in the process of building an integration platform using Karaf +
Camel. Part of this includes providing the user with log information
per installed service (OSGI service). This doesn't seem to be easily
accomplished.

Karaf uses log4j with a special appender that routes all logging to
the OSGI LogService. However, this way the OSGI LogService does not
get any information regarding the source OSGI service which is
unfortunate since I intended to use the OSGI LogReaderService to show
the relevant log entries (for the specified service) in the user
interface.

I've also tried to use the OSGI LogService directly. Although this
works in principal, it is not a very convenient way of logging. I
would like to transparently log the same way without having to care
about passing the ServiceRefence of the current service to the
LogService. Besides, it would be even better to separate the logs not
on ServiceReference (which will be recreated each time a service stops
and restarts) but on the configuration PID which is consistent over
service restarts. Also, when logging using the LogService I seem to
get all log entries duplicated when looking at the log using the
LogReaderService.

My question is therefore: Are there any plans to replace/improve the
logging in Karaf? I've been looking at the slf4j/logback combination
and it looks like a much better fit for OSGI. In particular there is a
concept called "Mapped Diagnostic Context"
(http://logback.qos.ch/manual/mdc.html) that seems to make it possible
to add contextual information to the logging system. E g one can
imagine that the ServiceReference (and possibly the service.pid) could
be added to the context and automatically be logged.

Best regards,

/Bengt