felix-users mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How far is the 4.2 Spec implemented?
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2010 07:52:00 GMT
Hi,

On 03.04.2010 15:42, Jens Lauterbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to the OSGi and Java world. At the moment I am working on a paper in which I
want to compare how far Felix, Equinox and Knopflerfish are implementing the new OSGi 4.2
specification.

> Sadly, I couldn't find a lot informaton about that on the Felix homepage.
>
> The "Framework" subproject seems to implement the whole Core specification. Is that correct?
Or are there parts of the Core specs that are not implemented yet?

> To be more precise I mean:
>
> - Security Layer
> - Module Layer
> - Life Cycle Layer
> - Service Layer
> - Framework API
> - Package Admin Service
> - Start Level Service
> - Conditional Permission Admin Service
> - URL Handlers Service
> - Service Hooks

AFAICT the latest release of the framework implements the full 4.2 core
specification. Richard Hall and/or Karl Pauls may know better.

> And how about the Compendium Specs? How much of these specs are covered by Felix?
> On some of the parts of the Compendium spec (see below) I could find a subproject. For
instance the "Log Service" is implemented by the "Log" subproject.

> - Remote Services

We don't have this implementation. But IIRC Apache CXF has an
implementation which happens to be the OSGi reference implementation.

> - Log Service

Multiple implementations exists. We have a simple one based on Log4J
(based on the one provided by the OPS4J project). The Apache Sling
project has another one.

> - Http Service

We have two implementations. Both implement the R4.2 compendium
specification but not the recently released R4.2 enterprise
specification extensions.

Maybe Apache Aries is working on an implementation of the enterprise
extensions.

> - Device Access

Don't know myself.

> - Configuration Admin Service

Yes and our implementation happens to be the OSGi reference implementation.

> - Metatype Service

Yes.

> - Preferences Service

I think, yes.

> - User Admin Service

We have an implementation, but I don't know about the specification
compliance.

> - Wire Admin Service

Don't know myself.

> - Initial Provisioning

I don't think so.

> - UPnP Device Service

We have an implementation, but I don't know about the specification
compliance.

In addition we have a new Web Console plugin supporting UPNP.

> - Declarative Services

Yes.

> - Event Admin Service

Yes.

> - Deployment Admin

Yes, though it is not entirely complete. IIRC it lacks deinstallation
functionality.

> - Auto Configuration

IIRC, yes.

> - Application Admin

Not here, maybe Apache Aries is working on something.

> - DMT Admin Service

AFAICT not here.

> - Monitor Admin Service

AFAICT not here.

> - Foreign Application Access

Not here, maybe Apache Aries is working on something.

> - Blueprint Container

See Apache Aries.

> - Tracker

Yes

> - XML Parser Service

AFAICT no.

> - Position

AFAICT no.

> - Measurement and State

AFAICT no.

> - Execution Environment

AFAICT we have partial support. Maybe Richard Hall knows more about this.

> I hope you can help me since I can't find any information about that anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Felix